Thursday, August 19, 2010

For the Love of Art


Long before I understood what it was that I was taking into the deepest recesses of my nubile mind I have been captivated by dimensions and scale. I think art is best taken in like that openly without preconception or filtering through the critical or cynical mind.

Sculpture is something that truly excites me there is something so remarkable about the three dimensional form and it being appreciable and transitional from every angle.

In terms of sculpture the stand outs are as follows.
Allen Jones 1969

Then there's Jeff Koons and his take on German kitch - think Hansel and Gretel on acid but my heart belongs to puppy. A three story tall steel structure that is replete with floral 'fur' the concept alone is mind boggling let alone its execution. I think he is a contemporary Warhol. This image to my knowledge is the first and original 'Puppy' and has been recreated on a number of occasions around the world including Rockefeller Center.
PUPPY Jeff Koons














Puppy Two
A few years at the National Gallery of Victoria to see Man Ray I discovered the Mr and Mrs Woodman series. Clever Subtle Erotic and Intense they are housed at the Centre Pompidou in France. I am still astounded by the intimacy achieved by these inanimate objects, I find these images beautifully touching.

I have been drawing faceless dolls for years before I seeing these images and related to the tone of the works the juxtaposition of the materials and content, the lack of faces - void of detail that emitted an audible sensual roar. The images shown here are quite tame there are more in the series that take on a more intense and exacting sexual tone. It is also of note the period these works were created.


My version of little faceless beings in love My art 'Love Soaked Sox' and another 'It's All About the Dance - and the music only you two hear. It's all about the Dance



A more recent find a neat little sculpture...'The Power of Love' by Mathieu Lehanneur -you can listen to it...together! 

And if ever you find yourself at http://www.heide.com.au/ Heidelberg Melbourne Australia there is another of my favourites permanently on display there, it is a small scale bronze donkey he is hidden amoungst the greenery on the grounds of the property and is waiting for you. He was first made from carpet underlay before he was cast and is possibly the most adorable thing ever. Did I mention I have a thing for donkeys - I may well have done in a previous post.

No comments: